We don't always get everything right...

but we try to learn from our mistakes

letter box_responsiblepurple.png
Do you have a complaint about Citizens Advice Scarborough & District?

If we’ve let you down, tell us

We want everyone who uses Citizens Advice Scarborough & District to be happy with the service we provide. That’s why, if we’ve let you down, we want to hear from you – no matter how big or small the issue is.


Often, we’ll be able to put things right. And even when we can’t, knowing where we’ve gone wrong will help us do better in the future. We promise to deal with every complaint quickly, professionally and confidentially.


Asking the Citizens Advice Scarborough & District to resolve the problem

It’s important to us to know what we’ve done wrong, so we can do our best to put it right.


Don’t be afraid to speak to the Chief Executive or a Manager at Citizens Advice Scarborough & District about your complaint. We will often be able to solve the problem straight away. If we can’t, or you’re still not happy, you can make a formal complaint.


Making a formal complaint

There are several ways to make a complaint. You can write a letter explaining what happened and send it to the address below, or drop it into the Citizens Advice Scarborough & District office you are complaining about.

Alternatively, you can call or email the National Citizens Advice Feedback team using the details below and they will pass your complaint to the right person.


Your complaint will be investigated by someone who isn’t directly involved. If it’s upheld, we’ll apologise fully – and, if appropriate, let you know what we’re doing to put things right.

We aim to respond to every complaint within eight weeks. If it’s going to take longer than this, we’ll explain why and keep you informed of progress.


Asking for a review

If you feel we haven’t dealt with your complaint properly, or you aren’t satisfied with the outcome, you can ask us to review the decision.


Please make sure you ask for this within four weeks of receiving the decision by contacting the Feedback team – details below. The review will be overseen by the National Citizens Advice Chief Executive.


Using an independent adjudicator

If you are still not happy with the decision, you can refer your complaint to an independent adjudicator. An independent adjudicator is someone unconnected with Citizens Advice who will decide whether we’ve dealt with your complaint fairly.

If you want to progress to this stage, you must contact us within four weeks of receiving your review decision from National Citizens Advice. Contact the Feedback team using the details below.


Contacting the Financial Ombudsman Service

The Financial Ombudsman Service provides a free, independent service for clients to solve disputes with not for profit debt advice providers.

The Financial Ombudsman Service will only step in once a local Citizens Advice has had the opportunity to investigate a complaint, so please contact the local service first.

If your complaint is about debt advice or if you were seeking advice about your

credit record and you are not satisfied with the final response, or if eight weeks have passed since you first let us know about your concerns, you can ask the Financial Ombudsman to review your complaint.

Who to complain to

Local Citizens Advice

The Chief Executive or the Chair of the Trustee Board at the address below:


Citizens Advice Scarborough & District

4 Elders Street, Scarborough, YO11 1DZ

01723 354 795



National Citizens Advice

To contact the National Citizens Advice Feedback team: 03000 231 900 feedback@citizensadvice.org.uk



Financial Ombudsman Service

By post:

Financial Ombudsman Service South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall London E14 9SR


By phone:

0800 023 4567 – free for people phoning from a ‘fixed’ line (eg a landline at home).


0300 123 9123 – free for mobile phone users who pay a monthly charge for calls to numbers starting 01 and 02.


By email:





Immigration casework complaints

How to complain about immigration advice

The Immigration Services Commissioner who looks after the standards of immigration advice will investigate complaints about immigration casework. You can make a complaint instead of approaching your Citizens Advice Scarborough & District or can do so at any stage during the Citizens Advice complaint procedure.


By post:

Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner Complaints Team

5th Floor, 21 Bloomsbury Street London



By phone:

0207 211 1500

0345 000 0046


By email:




gov.uk/find-an-immigration-adviser/ complain-about-an-adviser


Published June 2015. Updated March 2021.

Citizens Advice is an operating name of The National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux. Registered charity number 279057.